Monday, March 26, 2012

Past, Present, and Future

My sincerest apologies for this update being late!! Its what happens when the bowels of the vet school swallow you. I decided to make this post somewhat organized in going over the things that have happened since the last post, the current state of affairs, and what the future has to offer as far as I can see (as in until May).

PAST:
Matt and I have officially moved! We got the house that we wanted (previous post) and are now residents of Grayson, GA. We rented a UHaul and snagged a few friends and moved everything down to the house just in time for me to leave on externship to Alabama for 3 weeks :). Everything seems to really be coming together according to text messages from Matt, and once I get there photos will be taken and posted (I PROMISE!!).
We had to find a new home for Chanel. When we moved, neither cat really handled it well, and I decided to separate them until they both calmed down. After I did, both cats seemed to be MUCH happier without the other one around. Then I put 2 and 2 together and realized that for the past year I had been trying to make work something that just wasnt working. Strauss and Chanel never really got along, and they were both pretty stressed about the other one. So Matt and I made the decision to find Chanel a new home where she could be an only cat... and we found her the PERFECT home. She is now Rachel and Craig's baby and they are all doing SO well together!! It worked out perfectly, as all things tend to do.
I can officially say that I officially have a job after graduation and passing boards. I will be the newest Vet at Brookwood Animal Hospital in Snellville, GA. Therefore, everyone who is reading this post (except the future veterinarians) you are now required to bring all pets there. I will be starting (HOPEFULLY, pending Boards), in June.
I am also officially done with Athens, GA until graduation!! I finished my last rotation at UGA on St. Patrick's Day. No more basement hospitals for me!!

PRESENT:
I am currently in Mobile, Alabama doing a 3 week externship with some of the most wonderful people you will ever meet. I met Dr. Long my junior year at Wofford, giving him, his wife, and his son, Philip, a tour of campus, and helping host Philip for his deciding visit to Wofford. He picked Wofford, and started as a freshman my senior year. When Dr. Long found out that I was accepted to vet school, he sent me my stethoscope as a present, and he was one of the people that I called to tell. So when time came to pick my externships, I knew I had to do one with him. I have never been fed so well! The Longs are some of the nicest, most giving people you would ever meet :). I am learning a lot on this rotation as well. The clients come in all varieties/shapes/and sizes and I am learning every range of veterinary medicine. From the people that have 1 little white fluffy that is their baby and would do anything for it, to someone who has 6 dogs with heartworms and no money; and being able to treat both sets with quality medicine while meeting the owner's needs. Amazing.
One thing that I have noticed while being here is that for the first time in my whole life, I am homesick. I am a world traveler and have spend months away from home with little to no contact with anyone, and I have never once felt homesick. But for some reason after about 4 days here, I was missing everyone terribly, especially my family. I guess in my old age (;)) my wild and free spirit is becoming more tame... either that or marriage did it. But thankfully I had some visitors this past weekend! My parents came down and we had a WONDERFUL time on Dauphin Island and visiting Bellengrath Gardens. I would post pictures, but I forgot my camera cord... so in a few weeks (after April 7th), expect some!

FUTURE:
I will be in Mobile until April 7th, then I am starting at an emergency clinic for my final rotation April 9th. The clinic is about 5 min. from our new house, so it will be nice not having much of a drive. I take the NAVLE on April 12, so I expect everyone that is reading this to be praying non-stop from 8:30AM-3:30PM that day :). Dr. Long said it best the other day, "You are going to make an amazing vet" then he shook his head, "having something like a vet license decided by a dumb test like the NAVLE is like having a soccer game end in a shoot out. You work so hard for so long to have it all come down to chance. Doesn't matter who is the best." That is a wise man.
Graduation is May 5th, then I will just be waiting around (probably doing a lot of decorating and home projects, exercising, and enjoying the beautiful weather) until I find out my board results mid-may. After that... who knows!!

Until next time (which I promise will be sooner than this one was, and full of pictures)!!

No comments:

Post a Comment